Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Cast and Crew



My Dad, "Pappy" Chester Nowlen, Sr., was one of the Army Soldiers who were hired as extras to made this movie. Pappy Nowlen became close friends and drinking buddies with Robert Mitchum while making this film.

Robert Mitchum is seated in the front and is forth from the left - Burgess Merideth is standing and is fifth from the arrow on the right.

That's my Dad way in the back where the arrow is pointing.

Robert remembered my Dad well enough for him call him on the telephone in the mid-1970's as he was passing through Lake Village, Arkansas. Robert had finished making a movie in Mississippi and was traveling with the cast on a bus and stopped at a roadside diner for burgers. Robert called my Dad from the diner and asked him to come have lunch with him.

I think my Dad could have had a career in Hollywood because he was the rough and tough, John Wayne type. He could trick ride on a horse like Roy Rogers and he could out drink, out cuss, and out fight just about anyone that came his way.

He was not impressed with Hollywood because he felt everything and everyone there were fakes.

No comments: